Thursday, August 23, 2012

Rain Man

(Written sometime during June 2007)

Its close to 1.48 am in the morning as I am putting this into words. I just finished watching the movie "Rain Man" directed by Barry Levinson, starring Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffman. Man, does Cruise look HOT !!! Well he is not the reason that I am writing this. Its his role in the movie as an "exotic car dealer" who discovers (and kidnaps) his institutionalized autistic brother (Raymond) after the death of their father, their journey across the country and the connection they made during that trip.

It is a "MUST WATCH" :D. Well, Everything about the movie is simply superb - the direction, the acting, the script - EVERYTHING. Tom Cruise has played his part well. But to say Dustin Hoffman is awesome is an understatement. He is rocking!! (O.K. Too many adjectives !! Its understandable given that I sleepily stumbled upon a profound self-realization !!) It's such an amazing and authentic performance that during the course of the movie at one point, I was irritated enough to consider chucking the movie and forget about watching the rest of it - "To hell with the rest of it".

The best part of the movie, according to me, is when Charlie realizes why Raymond was sent away to the institution.

I don't know why that movie affected me so much but it did. I wonder why its seems to have struck some sensitive nerve in me. Something that tells me that I seem to have got my priorities wrong. Something - call it probably the warning of a guardian angel or my intiutions.

I am still trying to answer the question that my friend asked me 2 days ago. "Whats the most important thing in your life??" I am still finding the answer to it. Nothing that I list down seems all that important once its been listed. Whats that "important thing" that is really important to me??? Hope I find the answer really soon...

No comments: